Week three was a tale of “everything that can go wrong will go wrong” but there is a solution to every problem.
There were plenty of hiccups this week but lets hope they all popped up mid way through the challenge and not at the very end! Now lets have story time to discuss those problems, how I fixed them and learn from my mistakes…
Problem One: Paint that was supposed to be black was actually blue once it dried on the walls. In an effort to save some money on the project I tested a sample of black paint on the walls that I already had from Benjamin Moore and I ended up loving it. So I made a trip to my local home depot and had the color matched since there paint by the gallon is about half the price and I have never had an issue with its quality but the color matched paint was NOT even close to the color from Benjamin Moore. I wish I could say this was just a one time mistake but its actually happened to be quite a few times. So learn from my mistakes and buy the actual color from the company / manufacturer specifically because there will always be a difference. After one to many headaches the walls are the perfect shade of Black Satin by Benjamin Moore
Problem Two: Measure, Measure Measure! I was dead set on a specific light fixture for the room, took the gamble and ordered it and thought in my head it should be okay. Well I was wrong and the light being lost for five days was the first sign that it wasn’t going to be smooth sailing. The light finally showed up and I was ecstatic and I loved it even more in person that on the internet but there was only one problem…it was going to hang to low in the space. I thought about my love for the light and the fact that I had no backup option and an electrician that was scheduled to install before the challenge is over. I thought for a minute and realized that the metal canopy that the arms connect to could probably be cut and welded back together and solve the height issue. But most people wouldn’t want to gamble and risk ruining a brand new light in hopes it could work. But after chopping off 10 inches and welding it back together the light is perfect in its new home!